What are the restrictions when buying a property in Poland for EU and non-EU citizens?

Buying property in Poland is can often present some difficulties – even if you are Polish! So, how much harder does it get when you are not Polish?

As it turns out, not much harder, so that’s good news 🙂

EU citizens + Iceland, Norway and Switzerland

You guys are lucky! Basically, as long as you want to buy an apartment or a piece of land that is not agricultural or forest real estate, you can do it exactly the same way Polish people do. That means: as long as you have the financial ability to buy or to take loan for a property you are free to do so! Choose a property, sort out funds and go for it!

It’s a different story when you want an agricultural or an area of forest, for that you need a permit to purchase. More about permits below.

Non-EU residents

That’s a bit more complicated because as the law says, you can only buy a property in Poland when you have obtained a permit to purchase real estate. There are a few exceptions to that rule though, so don’t lose hope. You don’t need a permit:

  • when you only want to buy an apartment, not land or a house, and the purpose is to live in that apartment (not to run your business from it);
  • if you want to buy a piece of land or a house, it’s enough if it’s been more than 5 years since you moved to Poland and obtained the settlement permit. If you’re married to a Polish person, it’s even shorter – 2 years!

Permit to purchase

So if you are from outside of EU with no connection to Poland and have been here for say a year – you need to obtain the permit to purchase.

You will only get it if that purchase will not cause a risk to our (Polish) defensiveness or national security. I’m not kidding 🙂

Second thing is – you need to prove that you are somehow bonded with Poland, be it via Polish origin, marriage to a Polish person or running a business here.

If you can prove the above, you can then submit an application for permit to purchase to the Minister of Interior. Unfortunately, there is no standard application template, but send me a message if you need help, I can provide you with the necessary details.

As we read in the ‘Act on the Acquisition of Real Estate by Foreigners’ (paragraph 3), next to the application you should submit the following documents:

  • a copy of ID or passport – basically a document with your name and surname, place and date of birth with a picture;
  • designation of real estate being acquired – for example an extract from the land and mortgage register or a certified copy of entry in the register. Important – it shouldn’t be issued earlier than 6 months before you submit the application!
  • designation of the seller and a declaration where they express their will to sell their property to a foreigner;
  • if you’re married to a Polish person – marriage certificate, if you’re of Polish origin – any evidence you can provide
  • purpose of the acquisition of real estate – are you going to live there? run your business from there? grow potatoes?
  • source of funds for the purchase – for instance a bank certificate.

Once you obtain the permit, feel free to go and buy whatever you want 😉 Let me know if you need any help – I’m a professional real estate agent!

Basia Kubicka

Runs her own real estate agency Krakow Apartments. Passionate about helping people in all aspects of finding a perfect property, to buy or to rent. Occasional rope walker and rock climber. Follow Basia on Facebook.

1 Comment

  1. Mik says: Reply

    If an American (no Polish citizenship) without a residence or work permit wants to buy a flat, can they do so just to live there? If so, can they start a business or look for work after?

Leave a Reply